Pre-Conference Certificate Programs
Training magazine presents Certificate Programs conducted by leading industry experts. These programs give you the essential knowledge, practiced techniques, and sound theories you need to become (and remain!) a top performer in your field. In the end, you’ll not only walk away with a certificate of completion and an eBadge, you’ll also jumpstart your career and enhance your professional know-how. Lunch is included each day.
3-DAY CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS (P01-P07)
Friday, February 19 to Sunday, February 21 (9:00 am – 4:00 pm)
Fees: $1,195 Certificate Only; $1,095 when added to the full Conference
P01 ROI by Design: Delivering the Promise of Learning Measurement
Laura Paramoure, Author, ROI by Design: The Essential Link Between Training Programs and Business Results
Learning professionals want to be able to measure the effectiveness of their solutions and show the value of their work. For many years, they have tried to utilize their LMS and survey tools to accomplish this, with poor results. Measurement frustration and apathy has led many learning professionals to abandon their efforts to gain credible data and show the impact of their work. This program is for strategic learning professionals who want to learn how learning programs create business outcomes and how those outcomes are being measured to improve learning results. Participants will be introduced to a design data measurement model and innovative new tools that have revolutionized learning measurement, provided trusted data, and raised professional learning practice. Instead of focusing on just what you measure, this program will show you how to measure. Join us to learn the foundations of the model and witness the results data from companies who have implemented the model in their organizations. You will learn to:
- Use learning design as the blueprint and catalyst for business results.
- Translate learning objectives into business outcomes.
- Increase credibility in the collaboration between learning and business stakeholders.
- Measure outcomes to show what was learned in the classroom, what was transferred to the job, and how organizational metrics were impacted by programs.
- Identify metrics impacted and create an ROI for programs.
- Interpret data to provide actionable business intelligence.
- Answer the top 5 questions business leaders ask about learning outcomes.
- Use data to diagnose and repair learning programs.
- Deliver reports to senior executives that show the impact of learning.
- Elevate the reputation of the learning professional as a business partner.
PROJECT: During the 3 days you will apply the concepts to a learning program of your choice and enable measurement of outcomes.
TAKE-HOME RESOURCES: You will receive a copy of the ROI by Design book to take home and reinforce your learning. In addition to the comprehensive workbook used in class, you will receive 3 job aids/templates including: taking a course request, interpreting learning data, and reporting learning results to stakeholders.
P02 Master Instructional Designer
Geoff Bailey, Senior Consultant, Friesen, Kaye and Associates
Discover the keys to creating interactive and engaging training that ensures learner success — whether in the classroom, online, or a combination of both. Take home electronic job aids and a detailed support manual to help you apply what you learned when you are back on the job. You’ll learn to:
- Incorporate adult learning principles, a systematic learning process, and a variety of processing methods to maximize retention.
- Apply proven techniques for analyzing learner and organizational needs, and plan the design and development of training materials to meet those needs.
- Select the right training content and instructional strategy to support performance improvement for the target population.
- Strategize design time shortcuts.
- Plan a variety of presentation, application, and feedback methods.
- Align objectives and tests, and outline strategies to close any performance gaps.
- Create questions that enable learning, encourage retention, and test for understanding.
- Promote interactivity in classroom and online designs.
- Create a validation plan that ensures the training design meets the organizational needs.
BONUS! You’ll receive a 220-page Instructional Design Fundamentals Participant Manual, plus case study documents, job aids, a Kolb Learning Styles Inventory, and sample Self-Directed Learning Booklet. You’ll also receive a 184-page Support Manual full of instructional design guidelines, best practices, and templates with instructions for accessing the templates online.
P03 Master Trainer Certificate Program
Bob Pike, Author, Master Trainers Handbook: 57 Results-based Creative Learning Strategies for Delivering Faster, Better, Easier
Learn how to create and deliver in a high-impact, high-retention, high-application environment where everyone learns because of their total involvement. Discover how to achieve 90% retention, cut design time by 50%, and increase transfer by 75% with easy-to-apply techniques that create results and can be immediately applied to your programs. You’ll learn to:
- Use a seven-step process to transform your current courses into high-impact, learner-centered courses.
- Apply CORE to all your training — Closers, Openers, Revisiters, and Energizers
- Ban lecture and choose 62 ways to add variety.
- Apply CPR and the 90/20/8 rule to all your training.
- Create valuable learning materials your participants will love to use.
- Create powerful new ways to demonstrate your training results.
- Create effective case studies and role plays.
- Create a transfer of training strategy.
- Learn to use props, magic, and object lessons to increase engagement.
- Explore 11 ways to motivate adult learners.
- Experience the seven ways to remember anything — and how to apply them to your courses.
P04 Managing the Training Function Certificate Program
Marsha Weisleder, Certified Master Trainer, Langevin Learning Services
Take your training department to a higher level of performance. Learn how to align your training function with the needs of your organization by providing cost-effective, first-class training. Receive numerous tools and resources to assist you in managing every aspect of the training function from needs analysis and instructional design to delivery, evaluation, and staffing. You will learn:
- A seven-step process for setting the strategic direction of the training function.
- How to write a mission statement for the training function.
- An easy-to-use course audit checklist.
- Time-saving methods for estimating program costs.
- How to manage an effective needs analysis process.
- Guidelines for selecting the best training strategy: traditional, elearning, or both?
- How to conduct a solid cost-benefit analysis.
- How to confidently guarantee a return on investment (ROI).
- How to deal with the biggest design challenges.
- A step-by-step procedure for estimating course design time.
- How to prioritize course content to meet tight deadlines.
- 20 tips to minimize the challenges of working with subject matter experts (SMEs).
- How to build competency-based hiring profiles.
- Tips for selecting the best trainers and designers.
- How to manage and develop top-notch instructional designers.
- How to record, track, and assess instructor performance.
- A coaching action plan to deal with performance issues.
- 14 proven coaching interventions.
- A realistic approach to managing the evaluation process.
- A decision matrix for selecting data collection instruments.
PROJECT: Throughout the workshop you’ll have the opportunity to play the role of a Training Manager and practice your management skills in a team environment. You’ll work on exercises with your team, facilitate discussions if needed, and receive valuable feedback on your performance.
BONUS! You’ll receive a 190+ page manual filled with tools, tips, guidelines, and best practices. All worksheets, checklists, and forms can be downloaded as templates. In addition, you’ll receive a Training Needs Analysis elearning module that gives you a faster needs analysis approach that is realistic in today’s climate, as well as a copy of the Fundamentals of Virtual Classroom Design to help get your team started with live online training. CEUs are available for this certificate program
P05 Designing Interactivity for eLearning
Ethan Edwards, Chief Instructional Strategist,
Allen Interactions Interactivity design guides us in crafting online experiences that motivate participation, actively engage the learner’s mind, and create meaningful and memorable experiences. You’ll discover powerful ways to analyze content to establish appropriate scope for your eLearning, as well as strategies for content sequencing to maximize learner benefit and interest. Then, apply the powerful principles of instructional interactivity to design irresistible learner experiences. You’ll learn to:
- Create meaningful, instructional context.
- Manipulate risk and consequences to challenge learners.
- Break out of tedious question forms, instead focusing on meaningful behavioral outcomes.
- Employ feedback as a crucial teaching vehicle.
- Apply simple design elements to transform learner motivation.
- Develop interactivity design ideas through sketching and prototyping.
Based on the industry-leading ideas from Michael Allen’s Guide to eLearning, this program will fundamentally change the way you perceive the design and development of eLearning, and the possibilities for success!
BYOD: A Wi-Fi-enabled laptop with PowerPoint is required (or another authoring system such as Storyline or Captivate).
WANT TO LEVEL UP? This program can be used as the first course of the Allen Certified Instructional Professional (ACIP) Level 1 Credential, a multi-course program designed for L&D professionals looking to expand their skill set and improve the quality of their training.
P06 Storyboarding Intensive
Diane Elkins, Author of the E-Learning Uncovered series
Dry content. Challenging subject-matter experts. Tight deadlines. Writer’s block. That teacher who didn’t like your paper in high school. These can all make it harder to design courses you’re proud of. In this roll-up-your-sleeves, deep-dive workshop, you’ll learn and practice specific strategies to make your elearning storyboards more engaging, interactive, and impactful.
What’s the Point?
- Determine the problem that needs to be solved (and why it’s a problem).
- Get to know your learners (and what they care about).
- Move from a focus on knowledge to a focus on performance.
- Write performance objectives and learning objectives.
What’s the Plan?
- Negotiate with stakeholders to get to what matters most (and negotiate out what doesn’t matter).
- Plan strategies to help your learners care.
- Plan strategies to help your learners understand and remember.
- Plan strategies to help your learners practice.
- Plan strategies to help your learners to take action.
- Experiment with different storyboard formats and tools.
How Can We Make It Come Alive?
- Make your writing clearer and more succinct.
- Write engaging stories, scenarios, and scripts.
- Move past PowerPoint bullet-point thinking and plan helpful instructional visuals.
- Write effective practice activities and assessment questions.
- Write for special formats such as microlearning and branching scenarios.
P07 Converting Instructor-Led Training (ILT) to virtual Instructor Led Training (vILT) or an eLearning Course
Dani Watkins, Chief Learning Experience Officer, Zenith Performance Solutions
When organizations move from ILT to either a vILT or eLearning, they often attempt to do a straight conversion without re-evaluating the learning activities as they should. As a result, they are left with a boring, ineffective vILT or eLearning course that falls short. In this program, you will learn to create eLearning courses that bring about behavior change, engage learners, and leave them wanting more. You will re-evaluate your ILT learning objectives and move to solving business problems through behavior change rather than information overload. As part of this program, you will redesign an existing ILT course to a vILT or an eLearning course:
- Identify what eLearning tools are available to you and the type of functionality that is available.
- Storyboard the course in a new way that is interactive and engaging in a vILT or eLearning environment.
- Identify the graphics, media, and other supplemental tools to create a vILT or an eLearning course that is engaging for learners.
- Design new interactivities that engage learners and enable behavior change.
- Create a plan for executing the development of the eLearning when you return to your job.
PROJECT: Participants should come to the session with a real-world ILT that they would like to convert to an eLearning course.
BYOD: A Wi-Fi-enabled laptop with Microsoft PowerPoint installed is required. Optional: An eLearning tool installed (i.e., Articulate Storyline 3 or 360, Adobe Captivate, Lectora, etc.).
2-DAY CERTIFICATE PROGRAMS (P08-P10)
Saturday, February 20 and Sunday, February 21 (9:00 am – 4:00 pm)
P08 & P09: Fees: $995 Certificate Only; $895 when added to the Full Conference
P10 Fee: $1,095 Certificate Only; $995 when added to the Full Conference
P08 Articulate Storyline 360 Certificate Program
Stefanie Lawless, VP Training, Yukon Learning
In this comprehensive and hands-on two-day Storyline 360 Certificate Program, you'll learn everything you need to build highly interactive elearning with Articulate Storyline 360. Together, we'll explore a host of options to help take your training content to the next level. You’ll also get to experiment with quizzing, screen recording, and other creative interactions like dials and sliders, as well as explore the use of motion paths and meaningful animation designed to engage the learner. By the end of this jammed-packed two days of training, you'll learn what's needed to create a comprehensive learning course that can be published and delivered to meet a variety of needs, as well as play on a variety of devices. Topics in this program include:
- Best Practices Before Beginning Storyline Projects.
- Building Blocks of Storyline.
- Slides, States, Layers, and Triggers.
- Common Interactive Elements.
- Screen Recording.
- Motion Paths.
- Text Variables.
- Number Variables.
- True/False Variables.
- Sliders and Dials.
- Player Features.
BYOD: Attendees are hands-on most of the time right in the Articulate Storyline 3/360 tool doing the steps and functions along with the instructor. Attendees need to bring laptops with Storyline 3/360 installed and ready to use. It's also highly recommended that attendees are familiar with the Storyline 3/360 interface, bring an external mouse, and have a laptop running Windows 7, 8, or 10. If attendees have a Mac, they need to ensure they have a parallel desktop. Please note that the instructor will be running the latest version of Storyline 360, and therefore, some features discussed are not available in Storyline 3.
P09 eLearning Developer
Katrina Baker, Talent Development Partner, Learning Platforms, Adobe
Now more than ever, learning and development teams are being asked to produce more remote learning content, with less time and resources. This two-day certificate program equips you with the skills to produce remote, blended learning experiences for your learners, regardless of whether your audience is corporate or academic. Hands-on activities throughout this program will provide you with the opportunity to try new technologies, make mistakes, and receive real-time feedback from your instructor and peers.
This certificate’s multi-module format will guide you through the processes to create your own voiceover, video, e-learning quiz, and more! In fact, you could create a short course for your organization, from beginning to end, while completing your certificate. To take advantage of this opportunity, learners are encouraged to brainstorm a course topic and do some light groundwork prior to attending. Those who register for this program will receive information ahead of the program to assist with their preparations. This program is designed to give fairly new instructional designers and eLearning developers the opportunity to learn and demonstrate a variety of practical skills. The curriculum contains:
A high-level overview of research and trends that influence how we present blended and remote learning experiences. We will discuss social learning, mobile learning, diversity of thought, communities of practice, and much more – with the intention of informing our approach to our course development project.
An explanation of how a learning technology platform influences our instructional design process, along with practical examples and brainstorming related to structuring a course or program using a learning management system.
Practical information about basic voiceover skills and audio engineering, including how to choose equipment and set it up correctly. Learners are encouraged to prepare a two-minute voiceover script ahead of class that will be recorded and edited using Adobe Audition.
Suggestions of resources that make instructional design and eLearning development faster and easier for the budget-minded learning professional.
The opportunity to produce a micro learning video in Adobe Premiere Rush, using the voiceover and resources we’ve created and selected during class.
The opportunity to develop a simple eLearning quiz in Adobe Captivate.
The opportunity to practice structuring course elements in a learning management system, using Adobe Captivate Prime.
BYOD: A laptop with a microphone of some kind (suggestions will be sent ahead of class, in case you don’t currently have one). Free trials of Adobe Audition, Adobe Captivate, Adobe Captivate Prime, and Adobe Premiere Rush (additional information to be provided to program attendees ahead of class).
BONUS! All attendees receive access to a private LinkedIn Learning discussion board, so they can continue to ask questions and receive guidance on their course content after class.
P10 Designing and Delivering Virtual Instructor-Led Training
Kassy LaBorie, Author, Producing Virtual Training, Meetings, and Webinars and Interact and Engage!
Live Online (virtual instructor-led) training has become a standard for learning teams all over the world. Virtual classroom technology enables learning and development teams to reach all audiences, at any time of the day, with just a simple internet connection. But let’s face it, learning to engage your audience using this type of technology is an immense challenge. It requires a unique skill set that combines using virtual presentation, facilitation, and design techniques with technical knowledge to skillfully deliver online learning events.
This 2-day program guides individuals and organizations to identify, develop, and practice the necessary skills to become savvy virtual trainers and designers. The certificate also addresses what is required to be properly prepared to deliver online, what one needs to do to adjust their individual beliefs around online learning, and how an organization can begin to make the shifts necessary to support a virtual learning culture. You will learn to:
- Identify the online meeting technology features used to create engaging online training like chat, whiteboard, polling, and breakouts.
- Prepare virtual instructor led materials following current training approaches.
- Select appropriate virtual instructional strategies and activities that engage online learners.
- Sharpen the presentation skills necessary to masterfully inspire an engaging online event.
- Develop the unique facilitation skills required to ensure learning transfer in an online event.
- Develop engaging learning activities that prepare participants and ensure learning transfer in an online event.
- Design live online activities, following the principles taught and practiced in the live + online learning sessions.
PROJECT: During the two days you will apply the concepts to a virtual instructor led training program of your choice, and practice delivering it while on site with certificate peers as well as live online during your one on one follow-on capstone.
- Receive a participant manual containing job aids (including The Virtual Trainers Competency Model and a 3-Step Virtual Activity Design Process).
- Receive examples and platform checklists to help navigate the various live online platforms in the market today (WebEx, Zoom, Adobe Connect and GotoTraining); and key points to remember for you to use as you design, develop materials and learning experiences for your live online courses.
- Receive a “Virtual Designers Toolkit” complete with a Virtual Facilitator Guide Template and the slides and facilitator’s guide for a sample live online learning activity.
FOLLOW-ON CAPSTONE PROJECT: Two weeks following the in-person certificate program, you get 30 minutes of live, online, one-on-one time with Kassy to:
- Review your virtual classroom activity design.
- Practice live online delivery of your 10-20-minute activity.
- Receive feedback and coaching.
- Address your follow up questions and concerns.